- FRENCH IMMERSION
- French Immersion in Sylvan Lake
ASSESSMENT POLICY |
École H.J. Cody High School Assessment Policy
As referenced in Section 31 of the EDUCATION ACT: A student, as a partner in education, has
the responsibility to:
(b) be ready to learn and actively engage in and diligently pursue the student’s education
(f) comply with the rules of the school and the policies of the board
(g) co-operate with everyone authorized by the board to provide education programs and other
(h) be accountable to the student’s teachers and other school staff for the student’s conduct
● The Program of Studies guides teachers’ planning.
● Teachers will use their professional judgment so grades reflect an accurate depiction of a
student’s demonstration of curricular outcomes.
● Grades are determined by assessments of a student's ability to demonstrate mastery of
○ Students must adhere to formative and summative deadlines. Assessments must
be completed by the deadline communicated by the teacher. If students do not
meet the deadline, they may be given a permanent zero for that assessment.
○ Students will complete missed assessments at lunch during ZAP. Missed
assessments may remain as a zero in Powerschool. It is critical that students
complete all assigned work as it is integral to their success in the course of study.
○ Group scores are not included in grades. Summative evidence of a student’s
learning is collected individually with regards to their respective mastery of the
○ Academic dishonesty is taken seriously and will be dealt with in consultation with
○ Teachers do not give bonus marks or bonus assignments.
● Formative assessments are lower-risk assessments and may have a small impact on
● Formative and summative assessments are communicated to students and parents in
gradebook where possible.
● Teachers will enter assessments into gradebook in a timely manner.
○ Titles of assessments are descriptive
○ Dates of assessments are accurate
○ Missing assessments are to be entered as a zero.
● Students will have multiple opportunities to be assessed and reach a higher level of
mastery for example: quizzes, unit exams, assignments, etc.
○ Students may be provided with a re-assessment opportunity. In order for a
student to earn a reassessment they must provide the teacher with evidence of
increasing their level of understanding. Re-assessments must be completed in a
timely manner at the discretion of the teacher.
● If students continually miss deadlines, teachers will notify administration and
administration may initiate a contract and/or remove the student from the course(s).